Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Sun Daily : KL lockdown

KL lockdown

6pm: The streets were quiet once more as the crowd was believed to have moved to KLCC.

4pm: PAS gives police 24 hours to release all arrested during rally. "A million PAS members and supporters will gather at Bukit Aman and Jinjang police stations if they fail to do so," said Deputy Secretary General Dr Syed Azman at a press conference with PKR leader Nurul Izzah Anwar in KL Sentral. PAS' president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang was among those arrested. Contrary to earlier reports, Nurul Izzah was not arrested, she said she managed to escape twice.

For more photos, go to

3.41pm: Crowd at Pasar Seni LRT station disperses following instruction from Bersih's Wong Chin Huat.

3.40pm: Ambulance arrives at KL Hilton. PKR leader Anwar Ibrahim and two others taken by stretcher to Pantai Hospital accompanied by Malaysian Medical Association president. Latheefa Koya of PKR tweets : (PAS MP) Khalid Samad shot with canister from back. Bad shape, in hospital.

3.38pm: Police detain PKR's Sivarasa.

3.35pm: Police fire water cannons at the crowd penned in at Pudu. Large crowd at Pasar Seni LRT station repeated hit with tear gas from police.

3.30pm: Crowd at stadium begins moving towards Petaling Street, while an equally large crowd is headed towards them. Crowd swells at the Pasar Seni LRT station. Police fire tear gas into crowd to disperse them.

3.10pm: Bersih 2.0 steering committee member Wong Chin Huat addresses 2,000-strong crowd at Stadium Merdeka. Tells them: "Let us be courteous guests because we have taken the PM's invitation seriously. So let us walk slowly. Those who are willing to get arrested stand still, otherwise stand aside. But don't fight back.

3pm: Sasterawan Negara A. Samad Said has just arrived at StadiumMerdeka, where a crowd of about 200 have gathered.

2.55pm: Police fire water cannons at growing crowd gathered at Stadium Merdeka.

2.50 pm: Bersih 2.0's official tweet : Police is firing tear gas into Tong Shin maternity hospital where demonstrators are seeking refuge.

2.49pm: Anwar tweets: "Minor injury, waiting for doctor". A few hundred protesters have gathered at Stadium Merdeka.

2.40pm: PAS President Datuk Abdul Hadi Awang arrested at KL Sentral.

2.25pm: Bersih 2.0's Ambiga and Maria Chin Abdullah detained by police, along with PKR's Tian Chua and PAS president's son Khalil Abdul Hadi at KL Sentral. Anwar's two daughters - Nurul Izzah and Iman - also arrested.

2.20pm: Crowd surged forward again and FRU fires at least 6 canisters of tear gas. Crowd has largely dispersed. There are injured people.

2.18pm: Tear gas canisters fired at the crowd outside KL Sentral. Bersih and PR leaders have been surrounded by supporters.

2.12pm: Hundreds of supporters are following the Bersih and PR leaders around the KL Sentral station, with shouts of "Bersih", "Allahu Akbar!" and "Hidup Rakyat" resounding throughout the station.

2.10pm: Heavy rains don't deter crowds gathered in the city centre. Police have started to arrest protesters in front of Maybank HQ using handcuffs and plastic cuffs. Crowd shouting "Reformasi".

2.05pm: Bersih and PR leaders initially holed up in Hilton KL broke through the police line and are walking into the KL Sentral train station. Bersih 2.0 Chairman Datuk S. Ambiga, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, Nurul Izzah Anwar, Tian Chua and Datuk Abdul Hadi Awang are among the top leaders seen walking around the station, rallying supporters. The FRU has just arrived and the door going down to the trains have been blocked.

1.56pm: FRU and the protesters having a "Mexican standoff" in front of Maybank HQ in Jalan Tun Perak; small splinter groups heading towards LRT Bandaraya and Puduraya Station. Crowd is not chanting, seems calm and is waiting for instructions to move. Police start chasing the protesters who are scattering.

1.53pm: FRU have barricaded the road in front of Maybank, Jalan Tun Perak, and the crowd is now moving towards Puduraya.

1.50pm: Hilton Hotel at KL Sentral has stopped all media personnel from entering the building, forcing them to camp outside the lobbies of Hilton and Le Meridien hotels.

1.45pm: More water dyed green and blue is being sprayed at the crowds gathered at Maybank, Jalan Tun Perak by cops using water cannons. Crowd scattering towards Bandaraya LRT station. Group of Umno Youth Patriots shouting anti-Bersih slogans marching towards Stadium Merdeka.

1.40pm: Police use water cannons and fire tear gas into the thousands protestors in front on Maybank, Jalan Tun Perak. Crowd surges forward, before police spray crowd a second time, this time with chemical laced water.

1.35pm: Situation at Stadium Merdeka is still calm as police presence has prevented protesters from gathering there. Only a smattering of reporters are on the scene, along with cops swarming the area.

1.28pm: Another crowd numbering 3,000 coming from Puduraya, believed to be DAP supporters, join up with the crowd from Petaling Street in Jalan Tun Perak.

1.22pm: Crowds, estimated at over 5,000 around Kota Raya, Petaling Street and Jalan Tun Perak are now told to head towards Puduraya Station by PAS leader Dr Hatta Ramli. He asks the crowd to be wary of provocateurs and not to "disturb" the police. The crowd is seen to be calm and chanting the slogans.

1.20pm: Crowds around Petaling Street and Kota Raya are headed by few PAS leaders - Dr Hatta Ramli is at the scene.

1.15pm: Confirmed arrests of PKR leader Fuziah Salleh and PAS leaders Salahuddin Ayub and Mahfuz Omar. They are being brought to Jinjang, Kepong police station. PKR and Bersih leaders are holed up in Hilton Hotel at KL Sentral and are likely to be arrested if they start to move out.

1.12pm: Marching crowd which was heading towards Merdeka Stadium via Jalan Sultan remains gathered at Jalan Sultan. Police have blocked road opposite basketball stadium.

1.05pm: Thousand-strong crowd marching from KTMB station towards Jalan Kampung Attap.

1pm: Petaling Street crowded with thousands of protesters, some of whom are holding up Bersih 2.0 t-shirts, waving yellow flowers and chanting "Bersih! Bersih!". They are marching towards Pasar Seni. Police helicopters buzzing overhead.

12.45pm: Crowd of about 700 begin marching opposite Kota Raya, moving towards Stadium Merdeka. Bystanders join in and crowd has now swelled to about 5,000 strong.

12.40pm: Police fire 10 shots of teargas at about 1,000 PAS protestors gathered behind Pasar Seni. One group was seated on the road and singing when the cops moved in. Most of the people have now scattered to the surrounding areas and FRU is moving forward.

12.15pm: With less than two hours to go to the Bersih 2.0 rally, police presence has intensified in and around Stadium Merdeka. Seven FRU trucks have just moved in. Barbed wire fencing erected at all entrances since 10am, while at least five Black Marias in the vicinity since 8am this morning. Buses to Pasar Seni have stopped running or are being rerouted. While the LRT line is still operating, police presence is high at the Pasar Seni station. Prasarana has also enlisted auxiliary police for back up.

12.05pm: According to the Police KL Facebook page, Ops Padam Bersih 2.0 is underway. Total number of arrests till noon today is 321 men and 17 women.

Noon: Light Strike Force deployed at KTMB. The old railway station is now cleared of protestors, many of whom were bundled into trucks and taken away. Some who resisted arrest were handcuffed.

11.40am: At least 30 people chanting Allahu Akbar! arrested near Masjid Negara. Big crowd of at least 500 people around the vicinity of KTMB. The crowd is calm as police and FRU personnel on standby.

11.05am: Maharajalela monorail station is shutting down. No trains stopping.

10.17am: People waiting at KTMB railway station. Police do not allow them to exit station. Around 300 to 400 are stranded, unable to leave the station. "There are around 1,000 police officers stationed around this area, blocking all access into the capital and city centre," said a police spokesman.

10am: Police detained several people at KTMB station.

9.30am: Police officers on watch and standby near KTMB station.

9.00am: The normally busy streets of KL are deserted.

8.24am: Police trucks seen in the vicinity of Stadium Merdeka. Helicopters can be seen overhead.

No comments: